What's in this section?

Blue badge parking scheme

People automatically qualify for a blue badge if they are over two years of age and at least one of the following applies:

  • You’re in receipt of a higher rate of the mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance (DLA).
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) is paid to you because you can’t walk more than 50 metres (a score of 8 points or more under the ‘moving around’ activity of the mobility component).
  • You are registered blind.
  • The mobility component of PIP is paid to you, and you have obtained 10 points specifically for descriptor E under the ‘planning and following journeys’ activity. This would have to be on the grounds that you are unable to undertake any journey because it would cause you overwhelming psychological distress.

You can check your eligibility and apply for a badge on the GOV.UK website.

Vehicle tax exemption

You may be able to claim exemption from paying vehicle tax if you receive:

• The higher rate mobility component of DLA
• The enhanced rate mobility component of PIP

Visit the GOV.UK website for more information.

Motability scheme

The Motability scheme can help you with leasing a car, a powered wheelchair or scooter if you are in receipt of one of the following:

• The higher rate of the mobility component of DLA
• The enhanced rate of the mobility component of PIP

Public transport

The Disabled Persons Railcard is for people with a disability that makes travelling by train difficult. It’s possible to receive a third off adult rail fares, and if you are travelling with another adult. They will get a third off their rail fare too. This can be claimed for if:

  • You have a visual impairment
  • You have a hearing impairment
  • DLA is paid to you at either the lower or higher rate for the mobility component or the middle or higher rate for the care component
  • You have epilepsy
  • You receive PIP
  • Receive Attendance Allowance or Severe Disablement Allowance
  • Buy or lease a vehicle through the Motability scheme

Disabled Persons Railcard holders can register their Railcard discount onto their Oyster card. Enabling them to receive a third off on their underground travel too. You can read more about how to apply here.

You can also contact your local council to find out who issues disabled bus passes in your local area as part of the English National Concessionary Travel Scheme.

Wheelchair accessible vehicles

Wheelchair accessible vehicles (WAVs) are built and modified in order to allow a disabled person to use a vehicle. They can be built to allow the disabled person to be either a passenger or a driver, whilst remaining in their wheelchair at all times.

There are many different sizes, shapes and designs and WAVs cost more than standard cars so it can be a big decision to make. You can find out more information about WAVs on the Motability website.

See Mobility Articles

S4I Independence App – I-Buddy

Award winning, not-for-profit enterprise, S4I Ltd are the force behind the S4I Independence App. In a nutshell, it’s an app that allows people to be more independent and less reliant on others,
Read More »

Leanna and her son Billy

Post-16 school transport

You may have seen this story all over social media and news channels back in March; mum Leanna Forse was forced to give up her job because she couldn’t afford
Read More »